Bacterial diversity of 15 extra virgin olive oils, obtained from different Italian varieties, including Frantoio, Coratina, Bosana, and Semidana, was analyzed in this study. All bacterial isolates were genotyped using RAPD and REP-PCR method and grouped by means of cluster analyses. Sequencing of 16S rDNA of 51 isolates, representative of 36 clusters, led to the identification of Bacillus spp., Brevibacillus spp., Micrococcus spp., Staphylococcus spp., Pantoea spp., Kocuria spp., Lysinbacillus spp., and Lactobacillus spp., most of which reported for first time in olive oils. Phenotypic characterization of the 51 isolates, some of which ascribed to potentially probiotic species, indicate that two of them have beta-glucosidase activity while 37% present lipolytic activity. Preliminary evaluation of probiotic potential indicates that 31% of the isolates show biofilm formation ability, 29% acidic pH resistance, and 25% bile salt resistance. Finally, 29% of the isolates were sensitive to antibiotics while the remaining 71%, that include bacterial species well-recognized for their ability to disseminate resistance genes in the environment, showed a variable pattern of antibiotic resistance. The results obtained underline that microbial diversity of extra virgin olive oils represents an unexpected sink of microbial diversity and poses safety issues on the possible biotechnological exploitation of this microbial biodiversity.

Bacterial biodiversity of extra virgin olive oils and their potential biotechnological exploitation / Fancello, F.; Multineddu, C.; Santona, M.; Deiana, P.; Zara, G.; Mannazzu, I.; Budroni, M.; Dettori, S.; Zara, S.. - In: MICROORGANISMS. - ISSN 2076-2607. - 8:1(2020), p. 97. [10.3390/microorganisms8010097]

Bacterial biodiversity of extra virgin olive oils and their potential biotechnological exploitation

Fancello F.;Multineddu C.;Santona M.;Deiana P.;Zara G.;Mannazzu I.;Budroni M.;Dettori S.;Zara S.
2020

Abstract

Bacterial diversity of 15 extra virgin olive oils, obtained from different Italian varieties, including Frantoio, Coratina, Bosana, and Semidana, was analyzed in this study. All bacterial isolates were genotyped using RAPD and REP-PCR method and grouped by means of cluster analyses. Sequencing of 16S rDNA of 51 isolates, representative of 36 clusters, led to the identification of Bacillus spp., Brevibacillus spp., Micrococcus spp., Staphylococcus spp., Pantoea spp., Kocuria spp., Lysinbacillus spp., and Lactobacillus spp., most of which reported for first time in olive oils. Phenotypic characterization of the 51 isolates, some of which ascribed to potentially probiotic species, indicate that two of them have beta-glucosidase activity while 37% present lipolytic activity. Preliminary evaluation of probiotic potential indicates that 31% of the isolates show biofilm formation ability, 29% acidic pH resistance, and 25% bile salt resistance. Finally, 29% of the isolates were sensitive to antibiotics while the remaining 71%, that include bacterial species well-recognized for their ability to disseminate resistance genes in the environment, showed a variable pattern of antibiotic resistance. The results obtained underline that microbial diversity of extra virgin olive oils represents an unexpected sink of microbial diversity and poses safety issues on the possible biotechnological exploitation of this microbial biodiversity.
Bacterial biodiversity of extra virgin olive oils and their potential biotechnological exploitation / Fancello, F.; Multineddu, C.; Santona, M.; Deiana, P.; Zara, G.; Mannazzu, I.; Budroni, M.; Dettori, S.; Zara, S.. - In: MICROORGANISMS. - ISSN 2076-2607. - 8:1(2020), p. 97. [10.3390/microorganisms8010097]
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/11388/231757
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 17
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 17
social impact