Introduction: to assess incidence, prognosis and obstetric outcome of patients treated for gestational trophoblastic disease GTD in a twenty-year period. Methods: retrospective study. Results: Fifty-four cases of GTD: 46 (85.18%) cases of Hydatidiform mole (HM); 8 cases of Persistent Gestational Trophoblastic Neoplasia (GTN) (14.81%): 6/8 cases (75%) GTN not metastatic; 2/8 cases (25%) GTN metastatic. In both cases, the metastases occurred in the lungs. In 3 out of 8 GTN cases (37.5%) a histological picture of chori-ocarcinoma emerged. The incidence of GTD cases treated from 2000 to 2020 was 1.8 cases per 1000 deliv-eries and 1.3 cases per 1000 pregnancies. Of the 54 patients, 30 (55.56%) presented showed normal serum hCG levels without the need for chemotherapy. On the other hand, 24 patients (44.44%) developed a persis-tent trophoblastic disease and underwent adjuvant therapy. The negative prognostic factors that affected the risk of persistence of GTD were: serum hCG levels at diagnosis > 100,000 mUI/mL; characteristic "snow storm" finding at the ultrasound diagnosis; a slow regression of serum hCG levels during follow-up; the persistence of high serum hCG levels (especially if > 1000 mUI/mL one month after suction curettage) that was the main risk factor for resistance to first-line chemotherapy. There were 10 pregnancies in total fol-lowing treatment. Patients survival in our study was 100%. Discussion: Although GTD is a rare disease, its incidence was 1.3 cases per 1,000 pregnancies in Sardinia, Italy, higher if compared with mean national and worldwide incidence.

High Incidence of Gestational Trophoblastic Disease in a Third-Level University-Hospital, Italy: A Retrospective Cohort Study / Capobianco, Giampiero; Tinacci, Elettra; Saderi, Laura; Dessole, Francesco; Petrillo, Marco; Madonia, Massimo; Virdis, Giuseppe; Olivari, Alessandro; Santeufemia, Davide Adriano; Cossu, Antonio; Dessole, Salvatore; Sotgiu, Giovanni; Cherchi, Pier Luigi. - In: FRONTIERS IN ONCOLOGY. - ISSN 2234-943X. - 11:5(2021), pp. 1-6. [10.3389/fonc.2021.684700]

High Incidence of Gestational Trophoblastic Disease in a Third-Level University-Hospital, Italy: A Retrospective Cohort Study

Capobianco, Giampiero
Writing – Original Draft Preparation
;
Tinacci, Elettra
Investigation
;
Saderi, Laura
Formal Analysis
;
Dessole, Francesco
Data Curation
;
Petrillo, Marco
Writing – Review & Editing
;
Madonia, Massimo
Data Curation
;
Virdis, Giuseppe
Resources
;
Olivari, Alessandro
Software
;
Cossu, Antonio
Writing – Review & Editing
;
Dessole, Salvatore
Conceptualization
;
Sotgiu, Giovanni
Formal Analysis
;
Cherchi, Pier Luigi
Investigation
2021

Abstract

Introduction: to assess incidence, prognosis and obstetric outcome of patients treated for gestational trophoblastic disease GTD in a twenty-year period. Methods: retrospective study. Results: Fifty-four cases of GTD: 46 (85.18%) cases of Hydatidiform mole (HM); 8 cases of Persistent Gestational Trophoblastic Neoplasia (GTN) (14.81%): 6/8 cases (75%) GTN not metastatic; 2/8 cases (25%) GTN metastatic. In both cases, the metastases occurred in the lungs. In 3 out of 8 GTN cases (37.5%) a histological picture of chori-ocarcinoma emerged. The incidence of GTD cases treated from 2000 to 2020 was 1.8 cases per 1000 deliv-eries and 1.3 cases per 1000 pregnancies. Of the 54 patients, 30 (55.56%) presented showed normal serum hCG levels without the need for chemotherapy. On the other hand, 24 patients (44.44%) developed a persis-tent trophoblastic disease and underwent adjuvant therapy. The negative prognostic factors that affected the risk of persistence of GTD were: serum hCG levels at diagnosis > 100,000 mUI/mL; characteristic "snow storm" finding at the ultrasound diagnosis; a slow regression of serum hCG levels during follow-up; the persistence of high serum hCG levels (especially if > 1000 mUI/mL one month after suction curettage) that was the main risk factor for resistance to first-line chemotherapy. There were 10 pregnancies in total fol-lowing treatment. Patients survival in our study was 100%. Discussion: Although GTD is a rare disease, its incidence was 1.3 cases per 1,000 pregnancies in Sardinia, Italy, higher if compared with mean national and worldwide incidence.
High Incidence of Gestational Trophoblastic Disease in a Third-Level University-Hospital, Italy: A Retrospective Cohort Study / Capobianco, Giampiero; Tinacci, Elettra; Saderi, Laura; Dessole, Francesco; Petrillo, Marco; Madonia, Massimo; Virdis, Giuseppe; Olivari, Alessandro; Santeufemia, Davide Adriano; Cossu, Antonio; Dessole, Salvatore; Sotgiu, Giovanni; Cherchi, Pier Luigi. - In: FRONTIERS IN ONCOLOGY. - ISSN 2234-943X. - 11:5(2021), pp. 1-6. [10.3389/fonc.2021.684700]
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/11388/246688
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus ND
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? ND
social impact