PURPOSE: To assess the usefulness of stereotactic vacuum-assisted core breast biopsy (VCBB) performed using a stereotactic add-on device and film-screen technology with the patient in an upright seated position. MATERIAL AND METHODS: We reviewed a series of 129 women with non-palpable mammographic abnormalities who required stereotactic VCBB from December 1999 to November 2000. Twenty-seven (20.9%) cases were excluded due to difficulties in keeping the correct position during the procedure, while the other 102 (79.1%) underwent successful VCBB. Patients with lesions consisting of either atypical ductal hyperplasia or lobular carcinoma in situ were considered for excisional biopsy. Patients with either ductal carcinoma in situ or infiltrating breast cancer were referred for definitive surgery. The results of stereotactic VCBB were correlated to the subsequent surgical histology. RESULTS: Stereotactic VCBB was interrupted because of bleeding in 1 case and vasovagal reaction in 5 cases. Two haematomas occurred after the procedure. Overall underestimation rate was 10.5%. No new lesions were discovered after a mean follow-up of 18.7 months. CONCLUSION: Stereotactic VCBB performed using a standard add-on device with the patient in an upright seated position and analog technology is feasible in about 80% of cases, has a low complication rate, is not significantly time-consuming, and can offer the same accuracy as dedicated prone equipment.

Percutaneous vacuum-assisted core breast biopsy with upright stereotactic equipment. Indications, limitations and results / Meloni G; Becchere MP; Soro D; Feo CF; Profili S; Dettori G; Trignano M; Navarra G; Canalis GC.. - In: ACTA RADIOLOGICA. - ISSN 0284-1851. - 46:(2002), pp. 575-578.

Percutaneous vacuum-assisted core breast biopsy with upright stereotactic equipment. Indications, limitations and results.

MELONI, Giovanni Battista;Feo CF;DETTORI, Giuseppe Lorenzo;
2002

Abstract

PURPOSE: To assess the usefulness of stereotactic vacuum-assisted core breast biopsy (VCBB) performed using a stereotactic add-on device and film-screen technology with the patient in an upright seated position. MATERIAL AND METHODS: We reviewed a series of 129 women with non-palpable mammographic abnormalities who required stereotactic VCBB from December 1999 to November 2000. Twenty-seven (20.9%) cases were excluded due to difficulties in keeping the correct position during the procedure, while the other 102 (79.1%) underwent successful VCBB. Patients with lesions consisting of either atypical ductal hyperplasia or lobular carcinoma in situ were considered for excisional biopsy. Patients with either ductal carcinoma in situ or infiltrating breast cancer were referred for definitive surgery. The results of stereotactic VCBB were correlated to the subsequent surgical histology. RESULTS: Stereotactic VCBB was interrupted because of bleeding in 1 case and vasovagal reaction in 5 cases. Two haematomas occurred after the procedure. Overall underestimation rate was 10.5%. No new lesions were discovered after a mean follow-up of 18.7 months. CONCLUSION: Stereotactic VCBB performed using a standard add-on device with the patient in an upright seated position and analog technology is feasible in about 80% of cases, has a low complication rate, is not significantly time-consuming, and can offer the same accuracy as dedicated prone equipment.
Percutaneous vacuum-assisted core breast biopsy with upright stereotactic equipment. Indications, limitations and results / Meloni G; Becchere MP; Soro D; Feo CF; Profili S; Dettori G; Trignano M; Navarra G; Canalis GC.. - In: ACTA RADIOLOGICA. - ISSN 0284-1851. - 46:(2002), pp. 575-578.
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11388/48758
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 19
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? ND
social impact