Development of new research, classification, and therapeutic options are urgently required due to the fact that TNBC is a heterogeneous malignancy. The expression of high molecular weight cytokeratins identifies a biologically and clinically distinct subgroup of TNBCs with a basal-like phenotype, representing about 75% of TNBCs, while the remaining 25% includes all other intrinsic subtypes. The triple negative phenotype in basal-like breast cancer (BLBC) makes it unresponsive to endocrine therapy, i.e., tamoxifen, aromatase inhibitors, and/or anti-HER2-targeted therapies; for this reason, only chemotherapy can be considered an approach available for systemic treatment even if it shows poor prognosis. Therefore, treatment for these subgroups of patients is a strong challenge for oncologists due to disease heterogeneity and the absence of unambiguous molecular targets. Dysregulation of the cellular miRNAome has been related to huge cellular process deregulations underlying human malignancy. Consequently, epigenetics is a field of great promise in cancer research. Increasing evidence suggests that specific miRNA clusters/signatures might be of clinical utility in TNBCs with basal-like phenotype. The epigenetic mechanisms behind tumorigenesis enable progress in the treatment, diagnosis, and prevention of cancer. This review intends to summarize the epigenetic ﬁndings related to miRNAome in TNBCs with basal-like phenotype.
Scheda prodotto non validato
Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo
|Titolo:||Modulatory role of microRNAs in triple negative breast cancer with basal-like phenotype|
DE MIGLIO, Maria Rosaria (Corresponding)
|Data di pubblicazione:||2020|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|